iFIT Workouts and Review – Everything You Need to Know
We decided to dedicate this article to iFIT workouts after having the opportunity to test it out on a number of different treadmills during our in-depth reviews.
You can read our iFIT Treadmills article also to see which models currently offer this capability and where to buy them.
What we can say from the beginning is that our experience with the iFIT workouts, either tested with the older LIVE module and SD Cards, or the newer Bluetooth and built-in technology, has been great. There’s really nothing else like it out there.
UPDATE: iFit LIVE is now called simply iFit…they no longer call it iFit Coach. The SD cards have been phased out, and new machines are either iFit compatible, meaning you need to use your tablet or smart phone to access it, or iFit enabled, which means that iFit is ready to go on your machine, no tablet or smart phone necessary.
Many of our readers have been asking us where they can purchase iFit products:
To learn more about iFit, continue reading below….
iFit Enabled and Bluetooth Technology - 2016-2021 NordicTrack and ProForm Treadmills
This is the very latest version of the iFit program, first introduced in 2016. Most new NordicTrack and ProForm machines come with iFit, the ever-evolving, extremely popular workout program from ICON Health & Fitness.
Your treadmill will either be iFit enabled, which means you can see everything right on your machine, or iFit Bluetooth ready, which means you can view it on your phone or tablet if the machine does not have a touch screen to view it on.
Either way, it provides on-demand and recently introduced live training, custom workouts, daily coaching, sleep suggestions and meal plans to help you reach your fitness goals quicker. You can also choose from a library of professionally designed workout programs, track all of your progress, set goals for yourself and share your results with friends and family.
The best feature is and always has been Google map integration, which means you can choose any location in the world and it appears right in front of you. It’s like you are actually there, running or jogging on any trail you pick, which makes working out that much more exciting.
Plus, depending on which program or trail you choose, the treadmill incline and speed are automatically adjusted for you so you don’t have to break stride. A very cool feature.
What are the iFit Costs?
The iFit program is ever-changing, so we’re keeping a running list (no pun intended) of all of the updates here for your reference. Check back often to find the latest information.
FEBRUARY 2021 UPDATE
iFit recently added live classes along with the on-demand ones, which help NordicTrack & ProForm compete more effectively with Peloton, which was the exclusive offerer of live interactive classes for some time. So now you can compete head to head with other runners for added motivation.
All of the NordicTrack treadmills were updated for 2021, and currently a FREE one year iFit Family Membership comes with all of them, from the base T 6.5 Si to the top of the line Commercial X32i. So you can try out the program at no cost to see how you like it.
Over at ProForm, only the Pro Series was updated for 2021. The Pro 2000 and Pro 9000 received a substantial makeover, and it looks like the mid-range Pro 5000 might be discontinued. Just like with NordicTrack, all ProForm treadmills from the new City L6 up to the Pro Series come with a one year free iFit Family Membership.
DECEMBER 2020 UPDATE
As of late 2020, most of the NordicTrack and ProForm treadmills still come with a free year of iFit…it’s now a family membership for up to 5, with a value of $468. There are some new 2021 treadmills, including the Commercial X14i Incline Trainer, as well as the T Series EXP7i and EXP10i.
ProForm recently added the Carbon T10 and the entry level City L6, both of which also come with a free one year iFit family membership.
After the free year you can choose monthly or yearly billing. The current iFit costs as of this writing are: Yearly Family Plan – $396; Monthly Family Plan – $39; Yearly Individual – $180. Of course those prices may change over time, but this gives you a rough idea of what you can expect to pay.
APRIL 2020 UPDATE
ProForm has begun offering ProForm +, a program offering FREE treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and rowing machines when you sign up for 3 years of iFit. It’s an extension of what was started earlier in the year, but now it has a name (ProForm Plus) and its own section on the official company website.
Cardio machines that are part of the ProForm + program include the new Carbon T7 treadmill, Carbon E7 elliptical, Studio Bike Pro, Carbon HIIT H7 and the 750R rowing machine.
Free treadmills are definitely a great thing, especially for those who may have lost their jobs due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). However, if you do the math in some cases the 3 year membership is about the same as the cost of the machine. But, you’re still getting iFit so it’s well worth it in our opinion.
FEBRUARY 2020 UPDATE
It looks like the free treadmill deals are still going on in 2020. You can still get the ProForm SMART Pro 2000 treadmill and other cardio machines for free if you sign up for 3 years of iFit. NordicTrack is still offering one free year of iFit on most of their treadmills, but none for free with membership.
NOVEMBER 2019 UPDATE
In one of the most interesting iFit updates yet, ProForm is currently giving away treadmills, ellipticals and other cardio equipment for FREE with a 3 year iFit membership. Yes you read that right…FREE cardio equipment.
Currently you can get the SMART Pro 2000 treadmill, SMART Pro 12.9 elliptical, Studio Bike Limited, HIIT Trainer Pro and 750R rower for free if you sign up for iFit for 3 years at $39 per month. That’s a total of $1,404, or $468 per year. That’s not bad for a good cardio machine with all of the functionality that iFit brings.
This may just be a Black Friday/Cyber Monday thing, but we’re going to keep an eye on it to see if they keep that offer going through the holiday season. Stay tuned!
JULY 2019 UPDATE
All of the ProForm treadmills and HIIT Trainers now have the SMART designation, which means they all come with one free year of iFit Coach so you can try it out. There’s also a new CoachLink T9.0 treadmill, but the offer doesn’t extend to this limited time model.
All of the NordicTrack treadmills and Incline Trainers come with a free year of iFit as well, including the new T Series models that replaced the C Series.
JANUARY 2019 UPDATE:
There are some new treadmills in the NordicTrack and ProForm lineups.
The new X32i Incline Trainer joins the X22i and X11i models. All three currently come with one year free of iFit, as do all of the other NordicTrack treadmills except the C700, on which iFit membership is optional.
As far as ProForm, it looks like they are taking a cue from NordicTrack, offering free iFit for one year on all of their treadmills, including the newest member of the Performance Series, the 800i.
The current cost after the first free year is $396, which works out to about $33 per month. They sometimes discount that price if you purchase multiple years.
JUNE 2018 UPDATE:
Things have changed again, like they always do with iFit. Now, certain treadmills and ellipticals from ProForm have a SMART designation, which means they come with a free one-year subscription to iFit Coach…it’s built into the price.
Currently the SMART ProForm treadmill models are: Pro 5000, Pro 9000 and the Power 1295i. These three models include iFit Coach free for one year…the other models do not.
Also, NordicTrack is including iFit for one year free on all of their treadmills except the entry level C700. So all of the other C series, Commercial and Incline Trainers now have a full year of iFit Coach for free.
For now the free set of dumbbells and the free iFit wearable are off the table, and can be purchased for a fee if you are interested in them.
Please note that this is subject to change, so always check back for updates.
DECEMBER 2017 UPDATE:
When we last checked, iFit Coach Plus was required on all NordicTrack Incline Trainers and Commercial treadmills. It is $39 per month and comes with a FREE iFit Vue wearable device and FREE adjustable dumbbells. On other NordicTrack treadmills (C Series, Desks) and all ProForm treadmills it is optional, and the cost is $180 for one year or $270 for two years. On those models it is iFit Coach and not iFit Coach Plus. Note that the prices seem to change fairly regularly, so they might be offering different deals when you purchase your new treadmill.
JULY 2017 UPDATE:
Currently an iFit Coach subscription is required on many new NordicTrack and ProForm treadmills. You get a FREE iFit wearable with your purchase. So it is no longer an “option” on those machines, as it is on the lower priced ones.
For quite some time your first year was included for free when you purchased an ICON Fitness treadmill or elliptical. You then paid a yearly fee of about $99 to continue the subscription.
Currently, you have two options: One year membership is $12 a month ($144 billed yearly) and an iFit wearable is included to track all of your activity. Two year membership is only $9 a month ($216 billed every two years), so you’re essentially getting 6 months free.
There is also something called iFit Coach Plus, that gives you HD video workouts, daily classes and dumbbells, but that is only on the incline trainers currently.
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION APPLIES TO OLDER MODELS ONLY
NEW iFIT LIVE with the 10 inch Android Touchscreen
This is the latest iFIT Live technology released with 2011 treadmills. Consider it as an upgrade to the previous iFIT LIVE module that now supports communicating with your ifit.com subscription directly from the treadmill’s console.
The iFIT LIVE Module costs (for the upgraded version or the older version) are the same.
NEW iFIT LIVE Workouts Features:
– You login in your ifit.com from treadmill’s console
– You download My Trainer treadmill workouts through a WiFi connection (these are the Jillian Michaels workouts). You have weekly programs available, depending on your fitness level
– You can use the My Maps option to create your running route. This is possible through Google Maps
– You can download ‘World Tour’ workouts, powered by Google Maps also
– You can download Event Training workouts
– You can compete in a race you schedule for in advance (it’s called the Compete workout). You can use this option with your friends and you all schedule for the race (which takes place on the treadmill)
– You can access a web browser from the treadmill’s console and browse on the Internet or check your email
The treadmill automatically changes the incline of the treadmill (up and down) to simulate terrain during any workout .
NEW iFIT LIVE Installation
– Connect the treadmill to your WiFi network (as you would connect your computer)
– Follow the Quick Start Wizard instructions that pop-up on the console screen
– Connect to your iFIT.com account (you need the username and password). If you don’t have an account, you can register from the treadmill’s console
– Click on any the 5 workouts buttons from your iFIT account. Workouts will be downloaded before you can use them
Important: For technical assistance we recommend browsing through the Beta Support System launched at the beginning of 2012.
First Version of the iFIT LIVE Module
What You Need to Install the iFIT LIVE MODULE Correctly:
We had the chance to be present when a friend installed the iFIT LIVE Module on his NordicTrack X7i Incliner 7 inch touchscreen display. It was then when we understood this was not an easy process and it can really mess with you if you’re not somehow familiar with the Internet and Software products.
* A PC with Windows or a Mac
* A wireless router with SSID broadcast enabled and Internet connection.
* A decent Internet connection
* A subscription on iFIT.com
* A treadmill produced by ICON Health & Fitness compatible with the iFIT LIVE Module
* After you connect the iFIT Module to the PC with the USB cable go to the web address they recommend.
* Register your profile at iFIT website and you will download workouts to match your personal details. This is important to reach your goals correctly.
* While you have the USB cable connected you must install the software as well. When you get the message the installation is complete, you can insert the module in the Treadmill console and remove the USB cable.
* When you insert the iFIT Module in the console you must enable the WiFi connection and make sure the module is connected to the Internet Wireless.
* Turn on the treadmill and you will get the message Updates are required. Don’t ignore that message or you’ll be sorry later. Have patience and allow the iFIT Module software to update, even if it takes some hours. During this process, don’t remove the module and go have a coffee with friends.
iFIT LIVE Module Workouts:
Even if you have the older version of the iFIT LIVE module, the workouts options are the same as the new version.
The iFIT module downloads the workouts in the treadmill console through the WiFi internet connection. Speed and Incline are automatically controlled during the workout. All you need to do is follow the instructions the trainer gives you verbally.
The advantage is you can monitor your progress directly in your iFIT account when you login from your PC.
If you have an iPhone (but it’s not mandatory) you can simply send your meals info to your account so the trainers can customize your workouts accordingly. They send you workouts daily.
ICON Health & Fitness gives you a 90 days warranty from the purchase. So make sure you register the product shortly after you buy it. This is not the greatest warranty and you do need to follow their instructions one by one to avoid problems.
iFIT SD CARDS Workouts
Some ICON branded treadmills have the iFIT cards compatibility enabled. We tested these too. They are really great. They don’t have the same advantages as the iFIT LIVE module but they are efficient and decrease a lot the boredom sensation you may feel when training on a treadmill. All are signed by Jillian Michaels.
The SD cards control automatically the speed and incline of the treadmill. If you can’t keep the pace, you can always change the incline and speed, but don’t forget that the change you do applies only for one interval. The SD workout is a sum of multiple intervals.
Another advantage is that the workouts have a trainer voice enabled. This means that during the workout there is a professional trainer to guide you through the exercise. All you need to do is listen and follow the advice given 🙂
One tip: always remove the cards from the treadmill console when you’re not using them.
Here are some SD workouts we tested and liked:
iFIT Lose Weight Get Fit with Jillian Michaels 3 Level Pack
iFIT Body Sculpting
iFIT Wellness Treadmill Workout Cards
iFIT Performance Treadmill Workout
– iFIT workouts are challenging because they are built following a complete workout recipe, by professional trainers. Each workout pushes you to your next limit which is the key to a successful training program.
– The workouts have voices commands too. This replaces a personal trainer with so little costs.
– Workouts control the speed and incline of each treadmill they are installed on, automatically. So you just have to listen to the commands the trainer gives you and keep running.
iFIT Workouts Disadvantages:
– iFIT LIVE module, although revolutionary, is still in beta version. This is why you may often meet difficulties when using or installing it. In this case you have to contact their Customer Support.
– iFIT Live Module costs extra money (see price details below)
– iFIT SD workouts are bought separately from the treadmill cost. This means extra money for the user but also more benefits
– Although workouts are compatible with many ICON FITNESS treadmills, only some are real powerful and stable to support them all the way. Always read the review of the treadmill which has this feature listed. Although an attractive feature, may not be efficient at all on weak treadmills. With some models it’s listed just as a mechanism to get your money.
Old iFIT Workouts
We know this options exists, but we haven’t tested it yet. We’ll keep this section open to update after we have the chance to review a treadmill compatible with it.
You can still buy treadmills compatible with one of the first iFIT options: CDs
CD’s work same as SD cards, only that you need a separate CD player to play them and connect to the treadmill. These are signed by trainers like Robin and Pete.
We warn you the options are very limited, especially for treadmills, although they cost less than the SD cards. Plus they wear out much more easily.
Some of the Program workouts we tested and enjoyed are:
– Level 1 and 2 Treadmill Workouts
– Level 1, 2 and 3 Incline Trainer Workouts
– Marathon Beginner 16-week Program with Rock (Very good!)
– 8-Week Level 3 Body Tone Interactive Treadmill Program (Excellent too!)
This option is barely found on the latest treadmills released by ICON. Still some have it.
To use an iFIT Videocassette you need a VCR to connect to the compatible console.
We couldn’t find any VideoCassette to buy for our Healtrider Treadmill, compatible with this option. We’re looking for some tips if any of you know where we could buy them.
Maybe some of you had the chance to use the iFIT workouts too. Send us your feedback as we’re very interested in knowing how your experience feels and what benefits or issues you’ve had after using them.
PS: Read the second part of this article dedicated to iFIT Treadmills.