The best treadmill for running will have a powerful motor, a large deck that is longer and wider than other machines, and advanced cushioning to minimize impact on your knees and joints.
All of the models you find below meet those conditions, and also offer additional features and capabilities to enhance your workout.
Runners will love any of these top treadmills, so it’s a matter of choosing the one that most appeals to you.
The best treadmill for runners typically has much sturdier construction than those built for walkers or joggers, as it needs to stand up to heavier use.
As such, runner’s treadmills are usually more expensive, as they need better parts, stronger motors as well as more supportive cushioning.
Some of the best elliptical machines will also have a nice assortment of built in workouts including interval training, heart rate monitoring, feedback as well as tracking, something serious runners like to have to see how they are progressing.
Here is a guide to help you find the very best machine for running:
1. Deck: Look for at least a 20″ x 60″ deck so you have enough room for a comfortable stride, especially if you are on the taller side.
2. Motor: Look for at least 2.75 CHP motor, which will provide ample power for your runs. 3.0 CHP or higher is even better.
3. Cushioning: When you’re pounding the treadmill hard, as all runners do, you need to have advanced cushioning to help you not only avoid excess impact but also to provide the ideal support and give at various points throughout your stride.
4. Incline Capability: In order to make your training more like an outdoor experience, you need to have some incline to vary it up. Look for at least 15% incline to ramp up your efforts, and if you can find a treadmill with decline, even better.
5. Workout Programs: We all love a manual run, but it’s nice to have a variety of built in workouts to change it up from one day to the next. Look for at least 10 workouts, if not more, including intervals, distance, hills, heart rate, calories and more.
So decide which features appeal most to you on these top treadmills for running, and select the one that has everything you need, and a lot of what you want.